20 Great Facts and Tips About Direct Sales
If you were to conduct a search on Google for work-at-home opportunities, you may be surprised at what you find. There is a home business for just about anything you can think of. Direct selling has been around for many years and doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. In fact, new companies seem to be popping up almost daily.
I was not always a fan of direct sales. I used to believe it was something people primarily did to con others out of their hard-earned money. However, I now know better. There is more to direct sales than what most people may think.
A couple of weeks ago, a gentleman in one of my Facebook groups started a huge rant about how he despised direct sales. He stated how they are all pyramid schemes and so on. His statements proved that he was clueless about the business. I find that many others who see direct sales in a bad light, don’t really understand anything about it at all.
Recently, I joined an amazing professional makeup and natural skincare company and have come to truly see the power and potential of direct selling. I have tried to sell for another cosmetic brand in my earlier life, but was unsuccessful. Among other issues, I quickly realized that particular company was not for me. My experience during that time left me with a very negative view of direct sales, but since then, things have changed.
What I’ve Learned and Experienced
1. People who are consultants or reps for a direct sales company actually have a business which requires dedication and hard work.
2. Direct sales is better than a normal 9-5 job in so many ways. At my place of employment, I work for someone else and no matter how well I perform, I will most likely never make more money than my boss. With direct selling, there’s no ceiling. I decide the level of my earnings and I work for myself. Promotions are based on what I put in and not what someone else thinks of me.
3. There is great flexibility in direct sales. I can set my own hours, work at home on the sofa, at my favorite coffee shop or on the beach.
4. I get to work with and meet some amazing people.
5. The training I receive is way better than what I’ve ever gotten on my day job.
All this being said, there are direct sales/multi-level marketing companies out there that are not so great and operate more like pyramid schemes. You must do research.
What You Should Look For
1. Search for a company with integrity, growth and happy people.
2. Find out details about the products and compensation plan.
3. Research information about the CEO/founder of the company.
4. Are the reps successful?
5. Are there tools in place to assist you in reaching your goals?
6. Are the reps proud to represent the products and company?
7. Does the company genuinely care about people?
I’ve been blessed to have all of these things and more with my company. The culture is welcoming and supportive. Additionally, there are no monthly quotas to meet, no pressure to recruit and no inventory to keep. Also, I would be cautious of a company that requires a large amount of money up front to get started. I invested $169 for my starter kit and quickly earned that money back.
What This Business Can Do
1. Put food on the table.
2. Pay bills.
3. Pay for vacations.
4. Provide careers for military spouses who move from location to location.
5. Reduce or eradicate debt.
6. Give the ability to help others financially.
7. Allow parents to stay at home with their children while earning an income.
For anyone who is interested in direct selling, I encourage you to look into it. This business definitely isn’t for everyone, but anyone can do it.